Nirkoda Le'Chayim ("let's dance for life") is an Israeli dance session organized and led by Aaron Alpert and Latishya Steele. We believe in exploring the full variety of the Israeli dance repertoire to connect our community in joy and celebration. We started as Nirkoda Ba'Gan, an outdoors, socially-distant adaptation for the COVID-19 pandemic and moved indoors in June 2021 to Etz Chayim (hence the name, Nirkoda Le'Chayim).
COVID-19 Safety (last updated 6/3/21)
The health and safety of our Israeli folk dance community is the most important consideration in all of our planning. No set of restrictions will completely eliminate the risk of COVID-19, but we believe these protocols will bring the risk to a manageable level. As the situation continue to improve, we will relax these restrictions, but for now, all dancers will be expected to follow these rules; anyone not following the rules will be told to leave.
Rules (as of June 3, 2021):
- Masks: All participants must wear a mask in compliance with CDC guidelines, including while dancing.
- Social distancing & attendance cap
- Attendance is limited to 50 people, in accordance with Yellow Tier guidelines.
- You must register in advance via this Google Form so that we can monitor attendance.
- Be aware of your surroundings and do your best to maintain 6 feet of distance between yourself and other dancers.
- There will be no partner dancing, at least for now.
- All participants will check their temperature on the day of the event. You must stay home if you have a fever over 100°F or any other COVID-19 symptoms.
- There will be no food or beverages provided. You are highly encouraged to bring a bottle of water (or two) from home.
- Please sanitize your hands often. Even better, wash your hands with soap and water in the bathrooms.
We meet on Thursdays, 7:30-11:00 PM. In general, we begin with easier and older dances, moving to more challenging and contemporary dances as the class progresses. We alternate between teaching new dances and then reviewing them. See the list of dances taught. Requests are welcome and encouraged!
While Yellow Tier rules are in place, dancers must register in advance via the Registration Form. The form opens Monday at 6 PM, and it stays open through the day of the class. After 50 people have signed up, the waitlist will open up. If you register and then cannot come, please let Aaron know so he can let someone from the waitlist come. Payment is made upon arrival.
- Regular admission: $12
- Full-time students up to age 25: $6
We believe that finances should never be an obstacle to dance. If you are not able pay the admission price, please talk with Aaron or Latishya about a special accommodation.
- Checks made out to "Nirkoda"
- PayPal (add $0.40 for processing fees), via QR code that you scan at the door
- Credit card (add $0.70 for processing fees), online at nirkoda.com/pay
We meet at Congregation Etz Chayim, 4161 Alma St., Palo Alto, CA 94306 (map). Parking is free, easy, and plentiful.